- BA in Economics, Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas (CIDE), Mexico City, Mexico, (2008 - 2012).
- Graduated with the highest score among all Mexican students on the mandatory bachelors’ graduation examination of economics (CENEVAL-Economics-EGEL).
Academic and Professional Experience
- Director of Economic Policy, Treasury Department (SHCP) - Economic Planning Unit, Mexico City, Mexico, (2015 - 2018).
- Research Assistant, Paris School of Economics (PSE) - Economics Department, Paris, France, (2014).
- Junior Researcher, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) - Directorate for Employment, Labor and Social Affairs ELS, Paris, France, (2014 - 2015).
- Consultant, Innovations for Poverty Action (IPA), Paris, France & Monrovia, Liberia, (2014).
- Junior Researcher, Universidad Iberoamericana - UCLA, Mexico City, Mexico & Los Angeles, US, (2013).
- Consultant, National Council for the Evaluation of Social Development Policy (CONEVAL), Mexico City, Mexico, (2012 - 2013).
- Research Assistant, Colegio de Mexico (COLMEX), Mexico City, Mexico, (2012).
- Research Assistant, Centro de Investigación y Docencia Económicas (CIDE), Mexico City, Mexico, (2010 - 2011).
- I recently updated my MS.c. thesis with additional content and analyses. [Link]
Vilar, M., Sandoval, S., Bernal, A., Shimoga, S., & Bustamante, A. (2015). The impact of the 2008 financial crisis on food security and food expenditures in Mexico: a disproportionate effect on the vulnerable. In: Public Health Nutrition, Cambridge University Press, pp. 1-9. [Link]
Vilar, M., Sandoval, S., Bernal, A., & Perez, A. (2014). Mexico: A complex mosaic of population nutrition problems. In: Pobreza y Desigualdad: un enfoque multidisciplinario, Universidad Iberoamericana, Ed. by Pablo Cotler, pp. 69-84. [Link]
Vilar, M., Sandoval, S., Bernal, A., & Perez, A. (2014). The Effect of Mexican Household Food Security Status and Income Distribution on Food Access. In: Food Studies: An Interdisciplinary Journal, Volume 3, Issue 2. [Link]
While working at the Treasury Department, I was in charge of designing and writing sections of the annual report of the Stability Council of the Financial System (CESF) for years 2018, 2017, and 2016.
- Quantitative Reasoning and Statistical Methods
- Head Teaching Assistant, (2019): The course provides an introduction to statistical theory and regression analysis - including interpretation, finite sample results, and large sample properties. The students are introduced to causal inference. Topics include: randomized trials, regression, instrumental variables and Wald estimators, differences-in-differences, regression discontinuity design, and logistic regression. Overall rating: 7.0/7.0
- Undergraduate Mentoring and Advising. Mentored, advised and established a research internship program at the Treasury Department for Undergraduate Students.
- Institutions and programs involved: National University of Mexico (UNAM), Economics; National Polytechnic Institute (IPN), Economics; El Colegio de México (COLMEX), Public Policy; and ITAM, Economics.
Awards and Honors
MIT Presidential Fellowship, (2018). MIT established a prestigious program of Presidential Fellowships in 1999 in order to recruit the most outstanding students worldwide to pursue graduate studies at the Institute.
- Lloyd and Nadine Rodwin International Travel Fellowship, (2018).
- Graduated Magna Cum Laude from the Paris School of Economics (PSE)/École Normale Supérieure (ENS), (2015).
- National Council of Science and Technology (CONACYT) Fellowship, (2014).
- Institute of Research for Development (IRD) and Agence Française de Developpement (AFD) Fellowship, (2013).
- CENEVAL award for Top National Score for Economics Graduation Exam, (2012). The award is given to the highest score in Mexico on the mandatory bachelors’ graduation examination of economics. The CENEVAL-EGEL-Economics exam is a national coverage test that evaluates the level of knowledge and academic abilities of the recent graduates of the bachelor’s degree in Economics.
- Emerging Leaders in the Americas Program (ELAP) Scholarship, (2011) The scholarship is given by the Canadian Government to support the development of human capital and the next generation of leaders in the Americas.
- CIDE merit-based Scholarship, (2008-2012).
- Un Techo para mi País (TECHO), Mexico City, Mexico, (2015 - 2018).
- Paris School of Economics Students’ Association (SYNAPSE) Board Member, Paris, France, (2013 - 2015).
- R, Python, SQL, Stata, EViews, LaTeX, Git, and QGIS.
- English, French, and Spanish.